Senator Angara is one of the most hardworking and productive senators, with MORE THAN 200 LAWS PASSED. First, as congressman of Aurora Province from 2004 to 2013, then as senator from 2013 to present.
Like his father, the late Sen. Edgardo Angara, Sen. Sonny Angara values education as a tool to fight poverty. His father authored the Free High School Law, while Sen. Angara is one of the authors of:
- FREE COLLEGE LAW – Free tuition and miscellaneous fees for more than 800,000 students in state and local universities/colleges. Includes a scholarship program where students in private colleges/ universities can get ₱60,000 per year
- FREE KINDERGARTEN LAW – Free tuition means more kids can enter kindergarten. The number of kindergarten students is now 2.2 million, compared to 1.6 million before this law was enacted.
Currently working on: Free WiFi in SUCs, the Teachers Salary Increase Bill, the Medical Scholarship Bill, and the Student Discount Bill to help families with school expenses.
UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE
To ensure that poor Filipinos are covered by PhilHealth (law authored by his dad), Sen. Sonny pushed for the Universal Health Care Act that guarantees free medical check-ups, laboratory tests, and medicines. He also authored the following:
- RARE DISEASES ACT - PhilHealth now covers rare diseases, such as maple syrup disease, ALS, and hunter syndrome. Rare disease patients are entitled to PWD benefits including 20% discount and 12% VAT exemption.
- MENTAL HEALTH LAW - More affordable, accessible, and fair mental health care. This also helps Filipinos overcome the stigma of mental illness.
- KALUSUGAN AT NUTRISYON NG MAG-NANAY ACT (First 1,000 Days) - Comprehensive health and nutrition program for mothers and infants
- INTEGRATED CANCER CONTROL ACT
Currently working on: More affordable and accessible dialysis.
PROMOTING OFW WELFARE
While his father authored the Migrant Workers and Overseas Filipino Act that promotes OFW safety, Sen. Angara sponsored the:
- EXPANDED OWWA LAW - The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) now provides greater OFW benefits and services. This ensures jobs and livelihood assistance for displaced and returning OFWs so they won’t have to leave their families again.
- Balikbayan Box Law - Balikbayan boxes became tax-free and have less intrusive examination
- Seafarers Protection Law - Protects seafarers and their families from abuse
JOB CREATION & HIGHER PAY
Sen. Angara's father had authored the law that created the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA). Likewise, Sen. Angara has sponsored laws that help Filipino workers gain employable skills, find high-paying jobs, and enjoy the fruits of their labor:
- Expanded PESO Law – Creates Public Employment Service Offices (PESO) in every province, city, and municipality. More than 2 million Filipinos get a job through PESO every year
- Expanded SPES Law and JobStart Law – More than 200,000 Filipino youth who have not finished high school or college get jobs every year through the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) and JobStart Program. They can use the money they earn to get back to school.
- Kasambahay Law - Provides domestic workers benefits and social protection including SSS, PhilHealth, and Pag-Ibig
- Green Jobs Law - Promotes jobs that protect and preserve the environment
- Higher Take-home Pay Law - Reduces income taxes and makes 13th month pay and other bonuses tax-free
Currently working on: The Magna Carta of Workers in the Informal Economy, and the First Time Jobseekers Bill.
Sen. Angara sponsored the National Athletes and Coaches Benefits and Incentives Law which:
- Grants bigger cash reward and benefits to winning national athletes and coaches
- Recognizes athletes with disabilities as national athletes
- Olympic medalist Hidilyn Diaz has received a total of ₱7 million thanks to this law
He also sponsored the creation of the Philippine Sports Training Center and laws establishing sports academies and training centers all over the country to jumpstart grassroots sports development. pushing for.
In recognition of his efforts to develop Philippine sports, Sen. Angara was named Chairman of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.
While the late Angara was known as the “Father of the Senior Citizens Law” that provides a 20% discount to the elderly, Sen. Angara expanded this law by giving senior citizens 12% exemption on food, medicines, and other goods and services, and by extending such discount and VAT exemption to persons with disabilities (PWDs).
- Sen. Angara is one of the authors of the Magna Carta of Women, a comprehensive law that protects the rights of Filipinas, and the Expanded Maternity Leave Law.
- He also authored the Integrated History Act that mandates the integration of Filipino-Muslim and indigenous peoples’ history, culture and identity in the study of Philippine history to foster peace and understanding in the country.
He is now pushing for
- Pension for All Seniors bill – doubles the amount of senior social pension from ₱500 to ₱1,000 and expands the coverage to include all poor senior citizens and those without pensions
- Anti-Senior Citizens Abuse bill - provides stiffer penalties and strengthens support for elderly victims of abuse
- Inclusive Education bill – free education for children with special needs
- Magna Carta for Barangays – gives fixed salaries and benefits to barangay officials and workers
- Comprehensive anti-discrimination bill